Rolled Oats - 2 cups
Onion - 1
Tomato - 1 small
Capsicum - 1 small
Carrots - 2
French Beans - 10
Green Chili - 4
Fresh Green Peas - 1/2 cup
Water - 1 1/2 cups
Cooking Oil - 1 tablespoon
Bay Leaf - 1
Cashew Nuts - 8
Bengal Gram - 1 tablespoon
Black Gram - 1/2 tablespoon
Cumin Seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard Seeds - 1 teaspoon
Peppercorns - 1/2 teaspoon
Dry Red Chili - 1
Curry Leaves - 6
Asafoetida Powder - 1/8 teaspoon
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Ghee/Clarified Butter - 2 teaspoons
Coconut, grated - 1/4 cup
- Dry roast oats on medium flame until you get a nutty aroma. Keep aside.
- Chop onions, tomato, capsicum, carrots and french beans.
- Chop green chilies.
- In a pot, take water, chopped carrots and french beans. Bring the water to boil.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add bay leaf, saute until it turns slightly brown.
- Add cashew nuts, bengal gram, black gram, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, peppercorns, dry red chili pieces and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds stop spluttering, add asafoetida powder. Mix well.
- Add chopped green chilis. Saute for half a minute.
- Now add chopped onions, saute until they turn translucent.
- Now add chopped capsicum and fresh green peas. Saute until capsicum turn slight soft.
- Add roasted oats, turmeric powder and salt mix well.
- Add boiling water, chopped tomato, ghee and grated coconut. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on low flame for about 8-10 minutes. Gently mix a couple of times while cooking. The moisture collected due to covering will cook oats, so it is very important to cook it it covered with a lid.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- This must be served hot.