Basmati Rice - 2 cups
Vegetable Oil - 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon
Peppercorns, freshly ground - 1 teaspoon
Garlic Cloves, minced - 1 tablespoon
Carrot, finely chopped - 1/4 cup
French Beans, finely chopped- 1/4 cup
Cabbage, finely chopped - 1/4 cup
Capsicum, finely chopped - 1/4 cup
Fresh Green Peas - 1/4 cup
Spring Onions, chopped - 1/4 cup
Soya Sauce - 1/2 tablespoon
Green Chilli Sauce - 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste
White Vinegar - 1/2 tablespoon
Coriander Leaves, chopped - 1 tablespoon
Spring Onions, chopped - 1 tablespoon
- Wash basmati rice thoroughly in water and soak it in water for 1 hour.
- Bring 6 cups of water to boil.
- Add salt and 1 tablespoon oil and rice (discard water used for soaking).
- Cook rice on high flame until the rice grains are cooked but still are firm and hold shape, al dente.
- Drain all the water from the cooked rice and spread the rice on a wide bowl. Allow it to cool down to room temperature. I usually cook rice atleast 2 hours before preparing Fried Rice.
- Heat 1/4 cup of oil in a wok (preferably a wok with handles to toss)
- Add freshly ground peppercorns. Saute for 5 secs.
- Add minced garlic, saute for 5 seconds.
- Now add all the chopped vegetables - carrots, beans, cabbage, capsicum, spring onions and green peas. Set the flame to high, saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour soya sauce, green chilli sauce and salt (remember that you have already added some salt while cooking rice). Mix well.
- Add cooked and cooled rice.
- Using the handles of wok, toss the food in the wok until the rice mixes well with the vegetables. Do not use any ladle or spatula to mix rice as this will break the rice grains.
- Pour white vinegar.
- Place the wok on high flame allowing the rice to to heat. Toss frequently so that the rice at the bottom do not get charred due to high heat. Cook on high flame for about 5-10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame, garnish with coriander leaves and spring onions.