All Purpose Flour - 3 cups
Active Dry Yeast - 1 tbsp
Sugar - 2 tbsps
Salt - 1 tsp
Warm Water - 1 1/4 cups
Olive Oil - 3 tbsp
Milk - 1/8 cup
Sesame Seeds - 2 tbsps
Unsalted Soft Butter - 1/2 cup (1 stick)
Garlic Cloves - 6 large
Peppercorns, freshly pounded - 1/2 tsp
Coriander Leaves, chopped - 1/2 cup (loosely filled)
Salt - 1/2 tsp
- In a bowl, take all purpose flour, dry yeast, sugar and salt. Mix well.
- Pour 1 cup of warm water. Knead it into a soft dough. The dough must be a slightly sticky and not be rubbery. Depending on the quality of the flour, you might need to add about 1/4 cup more water to get the dough soft and sticky. Add 1 tsp a time, instead of pouring additional 1/4 cup water all at once.
- Pour olive oil on top of the dough and knead well until it well blended, soft and feels light. It takes about 4-5 minutes of kneading.
- Cover the dough with a cling film to keep the moisture trapped within. Set it aside for 45 minutes for the dough to rise.
- Meanwhile, mince garlic cloves.
- Take butter in a small bowl.
- Whisk the butter, peppercorns and salt well until it is soft and creamy.
- Mix in minced garlic and chopped coriander leaves. Mix thoroughly. Keep aside.
- The dough will have doubled by now. Remove the cling film and knead the dough again for 1 minute.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions.
- Roll a portion into a ball, dust the kitchen platform with some all purpose flour.
- Using a rolling pin roll the ball into a 1/2 cm thick roll-out.
- Divide the prepared spread into 4 equal portions.
- Evenly spread of a portion of the prepared spread on the rolled out dough.
- From one end, tightly roll the rolled-out dough to the other end.
- Half the rolled dough.
- Cut each half into 2 pieces to get 4 pieces from each roll.
- Repeat steps 11-16 for the remaining dough.
- Grease 2 cake tins.
- Place the cut out dough rolls in the cake tins, equi-distant from one another. Place the same number of dough rolls in the two cake tins.
- Set is aside for 20 mins so that the dough rolls rise little bit.
- Rub little milk on each dough roll and sprinkle a few sesame seeds.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 180 degrees C /350 F.
- Place the cake tins in the oven and bake the rolls for about 25-30 minutes.
- Remove the cake tins out of the oven and let it stand for 5-10 minutes,
- Serve warm.
This recipe is adapted from My Singapore Kitchen